Sunday, November 28, 2010

Taekwondo Update

One of the first posts I ever wrote was about Taekwondo. It's been about a year and a half since we started doing it. (Although we travel in the summer every year so I guess you could say we've been doing it for a year.) What is Taekwondo, you ask? It's the perfect sport that exercises the body and the mind. Or for you simpler folk, it's a martial art. Me, my 14 year old sister, Skylar, and my 7 year old brother, Shawn, all do hour and a half classes twice a week. My sister and I have been high blue belts for a while. We're getting ready to test for red belt in a couple weeks. My little brother just tested for his low blue belt. Although I didn't get to watch because I was on a trip with mom. :( [Although :) for the trip with mom.]
I was just practicing this morning. There are techniques and forms and Korean language. And the necessary knowledge keeps expanding for every belt. The belt order goes like this: White, yellow, orange, purple, green, blue, red, brown, candidate, black. Then there's black with up to nine stripes. And there are so much requirements for each stripe, that it counts as it's own belt. My main instructor/master, a black belt with six stripes, and her husband (yeah, that's right! She's a girl! girls rule!) run the dojang (translation: training hall). They're strict enough but hardly strict at all, compared to a lot of martial art teachers. In fact, they're super nice and not strict compared to anybody. With them in my life, I'm sure to achieve my black belt.

No comments:

Post a Comment